Embracing your features

October 17, 2022

Carmen Larreynaga

Student painted mural outside the cafeteria.

Background

Makeup is a very interesting concept. It can be used on hundreds of different occasions, in different colors, shades, and skin tones and it really varies on the individual’s likes and dislikes. Makeup can be seen as simple, or heavy, a darker look versus a lighter one. The diversity is absolutely incredible. What really matters is what you feel comfortable in. Not exactly something that defines your beauty, but more like something that enhances the beauty already present.

Experience

In the course of my middle school years, the girls surrounding me consistently looked put together. No matter where they were, their eyebrows were nicely done or would have the prettiest eyelashes, but for the most part, it was obvious they could handle makeup rather well. I created the habit of comparing my features with other girls’, they had such gorgeous, full eyebrows and eyelashes, but mine, I hated them. They were embarrassingly thin and had absolutely no shape to them. They were tough to even attempt to clean up. I completely hated my features and would often spend many hours staring in the mirror and could only wish I had a better appearance. I watched and examined many makeup videos as well as asked friends how they achieved their looks. However, that method didn’t make me feel better. That’s when I realized that I had a different problem, one that couldn’t be solved by copying my friends’ routines. That’s when I found my own way of feeling confident. I started buying drugstore products and wasn’t afraid to try new things, little by little it was adding to my confidence. Although looking back, I wasn’t the best and it didn’t always look good, the important thing is that I felt self-assured and positive about myself

Now

Now I would not only say that I have found my style in makeup, but also in the things I do as a whole. I have found a way that looks good on me and that fits my structure. Many of these girls that I briefly mentioned were taught and enlightened by older sisters or experienced moms. I, on the other hand, grew up with two brothers and didn’t have the same opportunities to learn this concept. I didn’t give up and quickly began to feel better about myself. Throughout this journey, I gained an understanding that even if you don’t have a desire to use new things, it can entirely shift your whole perspective and even make it better.

Continuation of Embracing your Features

Carmen Larreynaga

In my previously published article, I talked about my journey throughout middle school and the progress I’ve made with finding the right makeup styles that fit me. I explained the hardships that I went through and the troubles of being the only teenage girl in my family. Now I would like to continue on this topic but remember that self-respect and self-esteem go a long way. 

Everybody is unique, everybody has different structures and different features. Makeup is used to enhance those  “imperfections” or to add color. It should not be meant to take away those details but rather accentuate it. If you are afraid of people judging or just them making fun of you, you only live once. Only living once means doing whatever you want with your face or your body in general. The importance of knowing yourself is what makes you appear more sure of yourself and more confident. Makeup is a very beautiful thing and can do so much, however, you are more beautiful than any speck of foundation.

Self-confidence is key to moving forward in life, it simply gives you positive energy when you know you look good and feel good. Although, makeup is not for everyone, do not feel like it is obligatory to have to learn. 

In other aspects, makeup is very enjoyable and is simply a pleasurable hobby.

Continuation of Embracing your Features

In the third edition of my journey to embrace my features and encourage others to do so, I want to talk about a few people around me that helped build my spirit on this journey. They are the people who encouraged and lifted me up when I felt down. Without these people, I wouldn’t believe in myself as much as I do now. When I felt disheartened and gloomy, I remember their advice and guidance.

The first and the most giving is my cousin. Since we are the same age, we are the closest and spend the most time together. Although we may be very similar, our bodies are very different. Growing up, I felt indifferent whenever we went shopping or even went out to eat. I wasn’t resentful towards her, but I did envy her, especially in my pre-teen years. However, as we both grew out of our kid bodies, she was the one to compliment me most. She was the one to tell me how much she envied my frame and my features. She may not know, but she played a big role in the evolution of my self-confidence.

The second person, but the most loving, is my mother. My mother is a very beautiful woman. Having given birth to three children, she still shines very brightly. She is the most important person to have inspired me and my biggest role model. This woman was born in a very small and far land, El Salvador. She knew living in the United States would provide many opportunities for her children but to do so, she had to face many challenges having to travel for a total of 17 days on foot. Although she is one of 8 sisters, makeup wasn’t too popular or used in our family. She learned to use it by herself as well as she did with many other things. I should never look down on myself or think of myself lower because I look like my mother, and I would never think of the most beautiful woman in that way.