Freshman Spotlight: Xay Cardenas

Image provided by Xay Cardenas
Image provided by Xay Cardenas

The next student at Las Vegas Academy we’d like to highlight is a freshman technical theater major. Her name is Xay Cardenas and she talks about her experiences with LVA, something she’s struggled with, and some of her favorite projects she’s done so far this year.

First she was asked about the reasons she chose to attend LVA. Cardenas replied, “I decided to come to LVA because the magnet school videos, like they showed us in middle school, talked about how the people here are really nice and really supportive.”

Being a student has its ups and downs, and most students have their struggles.   “Something I struggle with is just keeping up I think because of my assignments and how much there is and I just got to know how to manage my time.” Cardenas said.

As a technical theater major, she works on some cool projects that correlate to sets, props, and costumes. Cardenas is excited about one upcoming project in particular.

“My favorite thing we’re about to do is making a prop with air dry clay… We’re gonna make hors d’oeuvres from Beauty and the Beast.”

When considering the new freshman starting next year, Cardenas has some advice. “You have to start your grind as soon as you get your first assignments, you know… but it gets hard as soon as you don’t turn stuff in.”

View Comments (1)
$840
$1500

Your donation will support the student journalists of Las Vegas Academy of the Arts. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment, attend journalism conferences, and cover our annual website hosting costs.