Summer Better Than Winter

Lilyanna Crawford-Abeita

When trying to have fun I often look for entertaining and exciting things to do. Usually those fun things are outdoors or in nature. The activities that we can do outdoors depends on the seasons and weather. Winter and summer are the two seasons that contrast the most. The weather is colder in the winter and the weather is warmer in the summer. Because of the contrasting weather in winter and summer the activities we do are different.

Some examples of fun summer activities to do are, having a picnic, taking a hike, swimming, fishing, outdoor movies, or going to a water park. Some examples of fun winter activities to do are ice skating, sledding, snowball fights, snowboarding, making a snowman, and ice fishing. More than half of the winter activities I mentioned have to do with snow. As many people know it doesn’t snow much in Las Vegas, Nevada compared to other states. The average snowfall in Las Vegas is 0.3, that isn’t a lot of snow. The amount of snow needed to go sledding is between two to four inches. The amount of snow needed for some ski resorts is more than six inches of snow to go skiing. Las Vegas on average doesn’t produce enough snow to do the most standard winter activities. How can people who live in places like Las Vegas enjoy outdoor winter activities?  

In my opinion snow and snowmen are the most popular symbols that represent winter. There are songs based on snowmen, like “Frosty The Snowman” and even movie characters who are snowmen, like Olaf from the movie Frozen. A fun and outdoor activity to do during winter is to build a snowman. Most people can do this activity outside their home. But it’s not that easy to make snowmen for people like Las Vegans. You need about four inches of wet and heavy snow to make a regular snowman. Due to the lack of snow people in Las Vegas are unable to make snowmen.There goes another outdoor winter activity that Las Vegans can’t do. 

How can someone enjoy winter when they can’t do all the fun winter activities? This is where summer comes in. There are a lot of fun holidays and celebrations during summer. Juneteenth, pride month, and the fourth of July are among some of the more recognized and celebrated during the summer season. Summer activities such as hiking, swimming, and picnics are easy to do in Las Vegas. You don’t need a certain amount of snow to do these activities, though you will still need to watch the weather due to the heat. There are even songs about summer like “Summer” by Calvin Harris and “Cool For The Summer” by Demi Lovato.

My idea of doing fun and entertaining things is usually doing something outdoors. During winter people usually tend to stay inside to get away from the cold. This is the opposite of what fun means to me. Being outside in the sun seems more enjoyable than indoors all day. This is why summer is better than winter. The outdoor activities and celebrations during summer seem to be more fun and easier to do compared to winter.