Best Kept Secret: Edo Gastro Tapas & Wine

My+mother+and+I+standing+in+front+of+the+restaurant+after+our+meal.+
Carl Wehrle
My mother and I standing in front of the restaurant after our meal.

Tucked away in a little shopping center in the heart of Chinatown, this narrow restaurant is a delight for those who want to dip their toes into the wonderful world of Spanish fusion.

The Edo Gastro Tapas & Wine experience began with our seating, where we were settled into a comfortable corner. The lighting was warm, decorations modern but homely, and layout applicable for such a small space.

Courses began with an amuse-bouche, a lovely starter that, and in French terminology, “amuses the mouth,” and is a lovely palate cleanser for the flavor that wanders ahead.

It was served cold with a lovely taste of citrus-y pureed tomato and was light but still flavorful.

This was an amuse-bouche we had with the meal. (Eliana Wehrle)

Before moving onto the next course, I’d like to add a spotlight on the drinks.

Two cocktails and an non-alcoholic mixer. (Eliana Wehrle)

My parents had their own colorful cocktails, while I had a fruity non-alcoholic mixer. Each drink was topped with a dried citrus slice, which I thought was a pretty addition to the experience. It added character, moderate flavor, and overall more to an already enjoyable dinner.

Thin slices of meat atop broth-filled pastry. (Eliana Wehrle)

The next course included delicate slices of thin meat atop something that I could only describe with the word “poppers”, as a flavorful broth resided inside. It reminded me of an Indian street food known as pani-puri and was definitely a standout flavor encounter on its own.

The dish in front of my father was a potato pave. (Eliana Wehrle)

Adding onto the dishes, Edo Gastro brought out something that you may have seen around the internet, the potato pave, also known as the thousand-layer potato. 

Served with a simple cream sauce, these massive multi-layered fries were flavorful, soft on the inside, and had a delicious crunchy outer layer. I’d also like to add how labor-intensive this dish is to make, which definitely adds to my admiration of this course.

This dish was dark chocolate mousse and toast. (Eliana Wehrle)

To complete this deep dive into tapas, Spanish appetizers, we had to order dessert. Having a sweet tooth, I very much enjoyed this last dish. The dish had a generous scoop of creamy chocolate mousse, and was topped with crunchy pieces of sourdough toast that added a nice texture variation.

The mousse itself wasn’t as sweet as I’d like it to be. Though the bitterness was due to the good quality dark chocolate used, I felt as if it wasn’t as outstanding as a dessert as it could’ve been.

My experience from Edo Gastro Tapas & Wine was one that I highly recommend to anyone who is interested in a quality gourmet but still warm and inviting experience. The dishes that I got to sink my teeth into are most definitely worth a try, and this little restaurant is one that I think you should keep on your mind.