Music this month

Emma Tolbert

This month, an abundance of new music in all types of genres was released. Rather than reviewing one album, or one artist, I’ll be sorting through some of my favorite albums, EPs and singles from this month.

Kevin Abstract :

At the start of this month, vocalist of now retired hip-hop band, BROCKHAMPTON, released his first solo single, along with 2 other singles. Signed with RCA Records, Abstract’s albums before 2020 are the only solo pieces he has shared with his audience. With these three singles, Abstract has announced the release of his newest solo album since the splitting of BROCKHAMPTON, titled, Blanket. Abstract is set to play at this year’s production of Tyler, The Creator’s festival, Camp Flog Gnaw shortly after the release of Blanket. As an LA based artist, Abstract embodies his stage name completely with a mix of funk, jazz and hip-hop tracks while maintaining an experimental and introspective style. Blanket is expected to be a blend of hip hop and punk-rap as it was created alongside BROCKHAMPTON’s longtime producer Romil Hemnani and rapper Playboi Carti’s instrumentalist, Jonah Abraham. Blanket is now available for pre-order and will be on all music streaming platforms November 3rd 2023. 

Drake : 

Aubrey Graham, professionally known as Drake, released his eighth studio album early this month, weeks after its set release date on September 22. Released through his longtime producer OVO Sound, For All The Dogs is topping charts globally. The release of For All The Dogs officially tied Drake with the king of pop, Michael Jackson, of most No. 1 songs on Billboard’s Hot 100. With features from all genres of music : like Teezo Touchdown, as previously reviewed in Teezo Touchdown’s ‘How Do You Sleep At Night’, as well as fellow Toronto based rapper PARTYNEXTDOOR, J. Cole, SZA, Bad Bunny, and more. For All The Dogs reminds Drake fans of “the old Drake”, with slower and melodic tracks like “Bahamas Promises”, “Drew A Picasso”, and “Virginia Beach”, while still maintaining an inspiring new blend of entendres, interludes and experimental songs.  Before the release of the album, Drake posted the cover art, drawn by his son Adonis Graham, along with a music video for his second sneak-peak into For All The Dogs with “8am in Charlotte.” For All The Dogs is a perfect mix of house party music, and slow night drive music. For All The Dogs is available on all streaming platforms.

Music in November : 

November will be a big month for the music community, with so many new artists emerging, and new albums, singles and EP’s from popular artists. Here’s what you can expect from November’s releases.

Kevin Abstract – Blanket – 11/3

The Alchemist – Flying High, Pt. 2 – 11/2

PinkPantheress – Heaven Knows – 11/13

Rick Ross & Meek Mill – Too Good To Be True – 11/17

Daft Punk – Random Access Memories – 11/17

2 Chainz & Lil Wayne – WELCOME 2 COLLEGROVE 11/17