Ways to Self-Care & Decompress

Deanna Webber

With school, and even home life, we often glaze over our mental health. Burning ourselves out, and not treating ourselves from time to time. Whenever I notice I’ve been mistreating myself, I immediately plan how I can help myself. Over the years I’ve accumulated many different fun ways to decompress, and self-care. I’m sharing some in hopes they can do the same thing for you as they did for me

If you ever feel like you have way too much on your plate, and your thoughts are just everywhere, I would recommend meditating. For some people just sitting with your thoughts can be more stressful than less, but there are so many ways to meditate that you can specialize to truly help you relax. For example, putting the phone down, laying down, and just listening to your favorite music. Doing something that you enjoy that is almost repetitive and doesn’t require much thought, like knitting or doodling can help as well. Spending time with your thoughts helps you compose yourself, and even figure out a plan to manage your stress and the things you have to get done during your day.

I know you’ve heard this before, but taking walks is one of my favorite ways to calm down and put your mind at ease. Physical activity is shown to help with people’s mental health, according to the Mental Health Foundation. Even just once around your neighborhood, or maybe just up and down the street. But getting to be outside and observe things around you can really take your mind off all the things that may be stressing you out.

Lastly, hanging out with friends or family, doing an activity or just being near each other. Whenever I start to feel like I’m getting in my own head, talking about it with someone you trust and love can really cheer you up. Even just watching a movie with loved ones or planning an activity you guys can do together, like coloring, painting, or reading. Just being close to people who make you happy can take your mind off things.

I hope these things can benefit you like they have me, and give you more ideas on how to handle your emotions and stress. Of course, feeling well mentally is taking care of yourself physically and mentally. Remember to try to eat your three meals every day, drink lots of water, and get yourself moving whenever you have the time.