The Student News Site of Las Vegas Academy of the Arts

Accolades

Accolades

Accolades

First Friday

At+First+Friday+there+are+tons+of+unique+activities+to+do.+You+can+even+enjoy+skating+on+an+indoor+ramp.+
James Baeb
At First Friday there are tons of unique activities to do. You can even enjoy skating on an indoor ramp.

First Friday is an event located all over Downtown Las Vegas filled with various activities, performers, and local businesses to support. Sam Grandos is an active supporter of First Friday’s events and employee of Fresa’s Skate shop gave insight into the roller skating scene and the role they play during First Friday.

Typically on First Friday during skating events, open ramp sessions are open to the public around 5:00 pm. Local Las Vegas skaters can skate for free while enjoying music from local bands that play in the back of their warehouses. One to three bands usually are featured there along with any other performers, food vendors and locals trying to further their name in the public eye.

First Friday is filled with many people to advertise and to cater to. Getting to experience not just First Friday’s skate scene, but also getting to mingle with people not usually seen in the same crowd, and being able to set judgements aside to new skaters can bring people together. “I feel like there is a lot of diversity in the skate scene. I always just tell people like it’s never too late to start and that failing is part of the process. It’s just for fun anyways,” says Grandos. 

People come from all around Las Vegas to witness the cool events at First Friday, some of which come from the Las Vegas Academy of the Arts. The Academy is filled with many talented upcoming artists. Next time there’s an option to attend First Friday whether it is to skate or just listen to local musicians, there could be some familiar faces in sight.