Las Vegas Teen Named to Dragon Kim Foundation’s 2022 Fellowship Class

Maggie Brill, right, was awarded a $5000 grant from the Dragon Kim Foundation.

Taylor Johnson, Reporter

Las Vegas, Nevada, April 27, 2022 – Las Vegas resident, Maggie Brill, 18, a Senior at Las Vegas Academy of the Arts, has been named a member of the 2022 Fellowship Class of the Orange County-based nonprofit – http://dragonkimfoundation.org –  a social entrepreneurship incubator for high school youth.

Along with her fellow team members, she will receive three weekends of leadership training and hands-on guidance from mentors from the community, plus a grant of up to $5,000 from the Foundation to implement a social service project in her local community this summer.

“My project is called Filling the Gaps, a life skills course for foster children, and we are planning to run it through the summer on weekends. Like, like a day camp for two days. So like Friday, Sunday, or Friday, Saturday, for like 90 and two. That’s kind of like our goal, but that’s the outline of our program,” says Brill.

“I’m really excited for this because I feel like educating this group of youth is going to be really beneficial to them and really changing the trajectory of their lives because they will be able to see the different pathways like in front of them,” says Brill.

As always, the leadership training, which elsewhere can cost several thousand dollars, is provided for free to each Dragon Fellow. Cumulatively, the projects will benefit thousands of people, including many from socioeconomically disadvantaged communities. At the end of the program, the top three teams will present their projects at the annual Dragon Challenge. One team will win additional funding to continue their project.

“We congratulate Maggie Brill and sincerely thank all of the students who took their time to submit their wonderfully creative entries to the 2022 Dragon Kim Fellowship Program,” said Dragon Kim Foundation Board Chairman, Daniel Kim. “We thank our sponsors, mentors and other supporters for their belief in our program.”

“We look forward to another year of helping these teens bring attention to important issues in their communities that need changing, and enabling them to strive to do that,” added Grace Tsai, Executive Director for the Foundation. 

The Fellowship was founded in 2015 in honor of the late Dragon Kim, a talented young musician, athlete, and scholar who wanted to help others. It has become a seedbed for the next generation of creative thinkers and entrepreneurs who want to create positive change.

For more information, visit http://dragonkimfoundation.org

About the Dragon Kim Foundation

The Dragon Kim Foundation was established in 2015 as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization by Grace and Daniel Kim to honor the memory of their late son Dragon Kim, who had been attending the Orange County School of the Arts. The mission of the Dragon Kim Foundation is to inspire our youth to impact their communities while discovering and pursuing their passions. Visit the website at http://dragonkimfoundation.org.