Sports at LVA

Yukki Acala
Girls PE playing dodgeball

Sports and Las Vegas Academy of The Arts are two words that seem like antonyms. For an art school, this isn’t out of the ordinary.

However, maybe this should be reevaluated. While sports at LVA looks to be quite pointless as there would be a lack of interest, others speculate that this could be very good for LVA students who wish to get out more as they are constantly sitting inside with their schoolwork and performances. 

As Brooke Hopper, an LVA sophomore, says, “I think that they should have more sports because not only are people more athletic, I think it’ll help us because we just sit inside all day as art majors or music majors.”

Sports are a great way to get outdoors, and while art kids aren’t the first thing that comes to most peoples mind when they think about sports, quite a lot of kids at LVA have found sports to enjoy, even when lacking a field. It’s also important to note that not all art kids are the same. Generally we do imagine art kids lack athleticism, however there are quite a few athletic people at LVA. As Jocelyn says, “I noticed that there’s a lot of athletic kids here too, and I think it would be beneficial for them specifically to have that opportunity to do sports.”

Freshman Jesslyn Limon also says, “I noticed that a lot of people like football and basketball.” Basketball has already made strides to make sure kids get the chance to get active, as there’s Basketball Club which is always welcoming new members who are willing to play.

Sports may not be a bad option for kids to try out, especially when most of their time is spent indoors getting work done. While it might not be popular, the kids who want more options to get active could benefit greatly.