Matthew Gray Gubler’s “Big Green Hand, Small Town Tour”

Starting off in his hometown of Las Vegas, Gubler begins the cross country tour for the release of his new book
LVA+students+happily+pose+with+Mathew+Gray+Gubler+as+he+snaps+a+group+selfie+with+the+fans+gathering+to+meet+him.+
Violet Gude
LVA students happily pose with Mathew Gray Gubler as he snaps a group selfie with the fans gathering to meet him.

Star on hit show Criminal Minds, the voice of Simon in ‘Alvin and the Chipmunks,’known as an artist, director, and more recently as an author, Matthew Gray Gubler began his tour for the release of his new book The Little Kid With the Big Green Hand last week. I was lucky enough to speak with him about how he feels about the big release. 

Gubler is driving across the country in his vibrant bright green car with a large green hand attached to the top, in theme of his new book, and hand-delivering copies to hospitals, libraries, and schools. The first of Gubler’s stops were to his childhood librarian Mrs.Drake and his alma mater Las Vegas Academy of the Arts (LVA.) Gubler, visibly emotional while answering, says he chose these to be the first stops because of the great importance they have to him.“Two formative things that always encouraged me and inspired me, continually,” Gubler said.

The Little Kid With the Big Green Hand is Gubler’s second book, following the release of his first book ‘Rumple Buttercup” in 2019. He describes the book as “A 224 page reminder of the love that exists in everyone and everything.” Gubler said, “It’s about two unlikely friends that come together and see the world in a beautiful manner.”

The official release date of the book is September 26th, so LVA students who received a copy will be among the first to be able to read it. Following his Las Vegas stops, Gubler’s book tour will head up to the East Coast, dropping off copies wherever he can along the way. 

Gubler clarified that it is a common misconception that this new book and his previous one “Rumple Buttercup” are related, and they are actually two entirely separate worlds. But as for his next project, he tells us that he has a sequel in the works to Rumple Buttercup that he is very excited about. 

Gubler says his biggest hope for the book is to make people smile and to “bring warmth to their eyes.” The vibrant illustrations match the heart warming story that is sure to brighten the reader’s day. It’s one that anyone can enjoy regardless of age, and as the back cover of the book promises, is for anyone interested in the story of “colors, creatures, and connection.” 

Watch the full interview with Gubler here:

View Comments (1)
$840
$1500

Your donation will support the student journalists of Las Vegas Academy of the Arts. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment, attend journalism conferences, and cover our annual website hosting costs.