Horror Movie Recommendations

Deanna Webber

Over the past few weeks, I’ve been watching horror movies to get into the fall spirit, and I’ve collected all of my favorites and recommend them to you. These movies range from horror, to thrillers, and psychological horror films. These movies aren’t for the lighthearted.

MIDSOMMAR

Midsommar is a 2019 psychological thriller horror movie made by A24. A24 movies usually have a lot of hidden meaning in them, and the cinematography is beautiful. Midsommar follows a younger woman who recently lost her sister and parents. Her boyfriend is distant and things don’t seem like they’re working out. They get invited to a Swedish midsummer, and things start getting pretty odd. Midsommar has one of my favorite endings. This movie is chilling and there’s never a moment where it’s uninteresting, it’s worth the watch. It’s available on The Roku Channel, Vudu, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, Apple TV, and Sling TV.

THE KILLING OF A SACRED DEER

The Killing of a Sacred Deer is a 2017 psychological thriller horror movie also made by A24. It follows a surgeon who starts to get close to a patient’s son after the son’s father’s surgery fails. Many secrets start to unravel, and his family starts to fall apart. The acting is amazing, it emphasizes the importance of the words and gives it an eerie vibe. It keeps you on your toes all the up until the end. I’ve watched this movie a couple of times and it never gets boring. It’s available on Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, Sling TV, The Roku Channel, Amazon Prime Video, Paramount+, Vudu, and Showtime Anytime.

HEREDITARY

Hereditary is a 2018 indie drama horror movie made by A24. The movie is about a family whose grandma recently passed away. After her passing the daughter starts acting weird, everyone keeps thinking they see her, and everything just starts to go off the rails after this family finds out many secrets and falls apart. Once you think you’re starting to understand the movie it only gets more complex. It’s filled with twists and turns and secrets that you might glance over on a first watch. Hereditary is available on Max, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, Vudu, Apple TV, and Youtube.        

GET OUT

Get Out is a 2017 psychological horror directed by Jordan Peele. It follows a guy named Chris, who gets invited by his girlfriend to meet and stay with her parents. He’s a little uncertain of the idea because he’s not sure how her parents might react to an interracial relationship. But he ends up going and after a while things get weird; he’s noticing that the people there don’t act right, and things only go downhill from there. This movie has one of the best plot twists and endings, and it keeps you intrigued the whole time. It is available on Netflix, Hulu, FuboTV, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, Apple TV, Redbox, Vudu, and FXNOW.

US

Us is a 2019 mystery horror directed by Jordan Peele. Us follows Adelaide, her husband, and two kids. They go on a trip to a beach where Adelaide had a traumatizing experience as a child. When she returns to this beach she starts to feel off and has a bad feeling something bad is going to happen. It turns out her gut was right and the thing that traumatized her as a child is back. She now has to protect her family and set things right. Although it’s a horror movie, this movie has the funniest comedic relief, is action-packed, and has such a good plot twist and ending. The story is so good, and the actors make it feel so real. It’s available on Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, Apple TV, Vudu, Redbox, and Google Play Movies.