The Student News Site of Las Vegas Academy of the Arts

Accolades

Accolades

Accolades

Book Reviews

Four Dead Queens:

Michelle Yeboah
  • Author: Astrid Scholte
  • Rating: 4.5/5
  • Pages: 432 
  • Genre: Sci-fi/Fantasy murder mystery

Summary:

Follow Keralie Corrington, one of Quadara’s most skilled thieves, and Varin, an upstanding Eonian messenger, as they get wrapped up in a conspiracy that leaves all the queens of Quadara dead.

Thoughts:

The only disappointing aspect of this book is that it’s not part of a series. Every single character has motivations and secrets that help to humanize them, making readers feel like they’ve known them forever. Along with plot-twists and intricate heists that happen, Four Dead Queens will leave readers guessing at every turn.

The Shadows Between Us:

Michelle Yeboah
  • Author: Tricia Levenseller
  • Rating: 5/5
  • Pages: 336 
  • Genre: Fantasy Romance

Summary:

This fantasy romance, Slytherin-inspired book, is all about ambition, love, and murder. Alessandra sets out to woo the Shadow King in order to kill him and take his throne, only to be set back by other assassins and her own growing feelings.

Thoughts:

From the characters to the plot, everything about this novel will have you hooked and wanting more. Alessandra acts as an empowering and sinister protagonist that readers won’t be able to get enough of. In a story filled with blood and secrecy, every page offers readers a mind-boggling new discovery alongside a spicy romance between two powerful characters.

Mad Honey:

Michelle Yeboah

• Authors: Jennifer Finney Boylan & Jodi Picoult
  • Rating: 3.8/5
  • Pages: 464 
  • Genre: Domestic Fiction, Mystery Thriller

Summary:

After facing an abusive husband and a messy divorce, Oliva McAfee’s life is turning around for both her and her son Asher, until she gets a call that Lily Campanello, Asher’s girlfriend, was found dead. With Asher being the main suspect. Oliva tries to convince herself of her son’s innocence but can’t help noticing the same dark force she saw in her ex-husband now in Asher. Now, it’s a struggle to convince not just the world of Asher’s innocence but to herself as well.

Thoughts:

At first glance, this novel seems like it’s going to be a murder mystery with the killer being revealed with a last-minute discovery by fan-favorite lawyer Jordan McAfee. Instead, it uses its setting to tell a compelling story of unbreakable love, recovery, self-acceptance, and dives into the topic of the Trans and LGBTQ+ community and what it means to be a part of that. Though the switch from murder mystery to a political novel is very abrupt. In a single sentence the authors change the whole tone of the story without any explanations, causing readers to feel off balanced and potentially disinterested in continuing. 

To Swoon and to Spar:

Michelle Yeboah
  • Author: Martha Waters
  • Rating: 4.4/5
  • Pages: 336 
  • Genre: Historical Fiction, Regency Romance
  • Series: Regency Vows series

Summary:

Viscount Penvale wants his ancestral home back, and if it means marrying his uncle’s ward, Jane Spencer, then so be it. Jane Spencer would appreciate it if her new husband would simply cease to exist; she’s had enough of the men in her life telling her what to do. How does she fix this problem? By enlisting the help of the estate staff to stage a haunting, of course. But not only is her husband resilient to the scares, Jane finds herself craving his company over time, but what happens when he finally does decide to leave?

Thoughts:

This enemies-to-lovers, well more of an “I-only-married-you-to-get-my-home-back, plus-I-find-you-incredibly-headstrong-and-sharp-tongued/I-never-wanted-to-marry-you-anyway-and-want-you-out-of-my-house-as-soon-as-possible” to “I-can’t-live-without-you-with-me”, provides a flourishing romance full of funny antics and humor that will have readers smiling the whole way through. Readers who enjoy slow-burn novels will love the rising tensions between Penvale and Jane, but for those who don’t, some patience might be required to get through it. They’re also parts in the story that might feel unnecessarily detailed or dragged on. But the novel more than makes up with events that highlight not just the romantic tension between the two, but the problems they have, like Jane’s social anxiety and Penvale’s addiction to work. Making them characters that are very easy to understand and relate to.