The Student News Site of Las Vegas Academy of the Arts

Accolades

Accolades

Accolades

Marketing Yourself As A Comic Artist On Social Media

Aerith Hamper

The internet has seemingly made the perfect environment for artists online. However, social media has made it a constant race for a place on the wall of fame. People rely on algorithms that could change at any chance, and platforms that could disappear with a blink.

Something often overlooked when it comes to promoting yourself as an artist is marketing. It’s the most important part of the process but is easily forgotten. It’s the tool that allows people to get word about your projects.

I haven’t had much luck in marketing myself for my art on social media. Each platform has its own ups and downs, but typically, I ended up flopping on a lot of them. Events like those are really disheartening as a new artist online and makes it hard to keep posting.

Something I’ve learned is that to get started, you have to figure out what kind of audience you’re trying to attract. Sometimes things like fanart make it easier for people to find your work. Seeing your favorite character drawn in a style you like is really enticing and makes them want to look at more of your work. Still, that isn’t always enough. 

Reels tend to get a lot of attention on platforms like TikTok or Instagram. Though they’re more popular, it’s hit or miss on whether the video is going to do well. 

It’s good to find a balanced and consistent posting schedule. That doesn’t mean, however, that you have to make something new every time you post. It’s good to repost old work as well; it makes it easier for people to find your old work as you post more things, and it lifts the load of feeling like you have to create new work every time you post something. If you struggle with posting things consistently, you can try third-party apps like Buffer or Loomly, where you can schedule posts once a week. Unfortunately, these programs often cost a lot of money.

These are just tips I’ve picked up from past experiences, and I will continue to learn from my experiences on social media and share them to help artists find the right audience for their work, their comics, or any of their other projects