Backstage Etiquette

Backstage+of+Lowden+at+Las+Vegas+Academy+of+The+Arts.+
Danica Seitz
Backstage of Lowden at Las Vegas Academy of The Arts.

Theater etiquette is important for many reasons such as safety, professionalism, and quality of the show. Without it, things won’t run smoothly and people could potentially be injured.

“Backstage injuries are always a possibility. And so we have to maintain a certain level of professionalism and decorum to prevent a simple injury,” Mr. Earl Severance, a technical theater teacher, said.

Actions such as running, not paying attention, and goofing around too much can lead to injury, missing cues, and making too much noise. Goofing around can be alright, but make sure it doesn’t affect the show. It’s our job to make shows enjoyable for the audience who pay to come see the shows.

“Paying attention, being in the moment, and, it sounds very artsy, but if you’re watching and being a part of the show not on your phone,” said Severance. “ You’re more likely to notice when something could go wrong.” 

Being aware of one’s surroundings is one of the most important things a person can do while backstage in order to prevent injuries. No one wants to deal with an injury.

“Sometimes stepping to the left three feet means you get hit in the head with a pipe. So you have to be aware of where you are and again, being present mentally and physically,” said Severance.

This is why theater etiquette is so important. If we want everyone to be safe, professional, and to have a smooth show we have to prioritize these types of things.

Let’s continue to keep the magic of what goes into a show going by keeping everyone safe backstage and running smoothly, always remember your proper backstage etiquette.