Horror Movie Recommendations

This month, I’m bringing back some of my favorite movies that I never get bored of. A few of these movies are a little unknown, hopefully, I can bring you something new and exciting. All of these movies could be classified as thriller, mystery, and or horror. Some are psychological horror movies designed to mess with your head and confuse you. Some dive into the unknown, and bring you into a world of monsters and ghouls, and some are just your classic slashers modernized.

Silent Hill

Silent Hill, the name may sound familiar. This 2006 horror movie is based on the 1999 game series, Silent Hill. The plot has a similar idea as it does in the game. A couple’s daughter, Sharon, wakes up from nightmares repeatedly yelling, “Silent Hill!”. In hopes of saving her daughter, they go up to Silent Hill, an abandoned town. Before reaching it, Rose and her mother crash, and after waking up, she realizes her daughter is no longer in the car. Without their knowledge, they enter a portal to another realm with monsters, and creatures, and now she has to find her daughter before it is too late to get out of Silent Hill. 

This movie is very intense and captivating. It has a few different storylines that tie together very nicely. It’s an impressive movie version of the game and is done well. This movie is available on Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Vudu, and Apple TV.

Black Swan

Black Swan is a 2010 horror/mystery movie. It follows a lifelong ballerina, Nina, who is now entering her 20s. She still lives with her mother and her mother still treats her like a child. Nina’s company is performing Black Swan except, whoever gets cast as the white swan, will also play the black swan. This stresses Nina out because she’s always been a cautious, sweet, and white swan type of girl. Now she has to figure out how to play the black swan so she can get the main role. This whole conflict starts to drive her mad. Other people want her role, she starts to realize she’s been babied by her mother for too long, and her sanity just starts to slip. 

This movie confuses you with what’s real and what’s not and brings you on a beautiful, semi-disturbing journey. It’s available on Netflix, Hulu, Prime, and Apple TV.

Horse Girl

Horse Girl is a 2020 thriller/mystery movie. It follows a woman named Sarah. Sarah is an introverted girl who lives with a roommate who is the opposite of her.  If Sarah does go out, she goes to the craft store, her job, or the horse stables, which houses her childhood horse. Due to her mother’s recent death, Sarah has been losing her grip on her sanity. She starts sleepwalking, walking up in odd places, and having weird dreams. Everything just starts to change for her. 

Though this movie is very odd, that’s what makes it good. It has this strange feeling to it, with a plot that still keeps you hooked. Horse Girl is available only on Netflix.

X is a 2022 horror movie with familiar faces like Mia Goth, Jenna Ortega, and Kid Cudi. X is about a group of people looking for fame and money who set off to make a film. They decide to rent out this side house owned by an elderly couple for a day. They settle in and film a few shots but don’t know they are being watched by the elderly couple. As time goes on, things get even darker when the couple begins to attack each of the people in the group. 

This movie is incredibly suspenseful and the acting is amazing. It’s set in late 1970 and the movie captures that theme very well with the clothing and the furniture. This is one of my favorites, but it is pretty explicit and gory. If you have a weak stomach, it might not be for you. If you think you can handle it, it’s available on Netflix, Hulu, Showtime, Vudu, The Roku Channel, FuboTV, and Amazon Prime Video.

Pearl  

Pearl is the prequel to X. It explains the violent couple’s backstory. It follows a young Pearl, who is the elderly woman in the movie X,  Pearl lives on a Texas homestead with her husband who is away at war. She finds this man who takes an interest in her and thinks that she can be a big star. Pearl likes the sound of fame, to the point where it almost drives her crazy. Pearl already was not very sane. She killed animals on the farm and often had violent outbursts when things did not go her way. In her search for fame, she ends up further than she started, and the story to that point is very intriguing.

The actor who plays Pearl is the same person who plays Maxine, a main character in X. She also plays the old woman in X which is very impressive. Both of these movies are perfect for a little horror movie night. Same discretion as before: this movie is pretty graphic. It is available on Hulu, FuboTV, The Roku Channel, Paramount+, Amazon Prime Video, and Showtime.