Harajuku Fashion

Mori Kei
Harajuku+Fashion
Lin Styles

History

Mori Kei originates from Harajuku fashion. The fashion type emerged from Japanese social media. A platform called “Mixi” was founded in 1999 and is owned by Mixi, inc. This platform is similar to Facebook and focuses on entertainment for its users with a comfy cozy environment. 

In 2006 the fashion style “Mori Kei” got its name from the admin of a fashion group on the platform— Choco, after a friend had commented on her post and said “You look like you are from the forest”. 

The word “Mori” means “forest” in Japanese. In the actual language it is spelled “森”. 

What is Mori Kei? 

Mori Kei is a Japanese fashion that centers around a clothing style that is inspired by someone living in the woods, much like a cottage core style. This style type is often seen with a forest-like vibe with patterns such as leaves, small deer stripes, and polka dots. Frills and lace are also common. Natural fabrics such as linen, cotton, and wool are usually used, as are handcrafted accessories with softer color pallets that give the feeling of being in forest. For shoes, most are comfortable and cozy such as fuzzy ankle boots, moccasins, or some type of slip on.

Overall look- 

The look of this fashion gives a very soft vibe. Everything about it is meant to give off the feeling of living in the forest, so the clothing is not only soft and light, but so is hair and any make-up. When putting all of these together it helps to give a fantasy-like look. When adding makeup, the goal is to give the wearer a more natural look, oftentimes favoring peach and rose blushes, nude or baby pink gloss, and add some warm eyeshadows and light eyeliners in shades of brown and white.

Hairstyles are often seen loose, like little buns, pig tails, braids and waves as well.