The Origin Of Tea

Stellar Slentz-Baeb

Tea is a beverage enjoyed by almost every culture around the world, but where did it come from? Although “tea time” stands as an established British custom, tea actually predates Great Britain by centuries, the origin goes much further back. Tea was actually first made by accident in China in 2737 BC. The UK Tea & Infusions Association (UKTIA) says the story goes that the Chinese Emperor and Herbalist, Shen Nung, was sitting under a tree while his servant was boiling water for drinking when a leaf fell into the pot and accidentally made the first tea. Tea was enjoyed in China even centuries before it was even heard of in the Western part of the world.

The growth of tea in Europe was just talk at first, as some Portuguese missionaries and traders living in the East brought some from their home country. The first shipment of tea arrived in Holland from China in 1606. It was an instant hit amongst the Dutch. Tea started spreading to Britain through the British East India Company, as they imported goods from outside of Europe. But what really started the surge of tea in Britain was the marriage of King Charles II to Catherine of Braganza. Catherine was a Portuguese princess and loved tea. She spread her love of the drink to the rest of the family and the rest of the wealthy. UKTIA also says “Capitalizing on this, the East India Company began to import tea into Britain, its first order being placed in 1664 – for 100lbs of China tea to be shipped from Java.”

Tea eventually grew so popular that it began getting taxed and smuggled. The price was so high at some points people wouldn’t buy it. People who enjoyed the drink and couldn’t buy it turned into illegal gangs and smugglers to get hold of tea at a reasonable price. When taxes were slashed, tea was finally affordable and people were able to enjoy their favorite beverage at an affordable cost.

The preparation and enjoyment of tea has changed over time. Tea didn’t always come in bags. Tea bags were invented in the early twentieth century. Although tea bag production has increased, loose leaf tea is still popular with some.

Tea has proven health benefits as well. A study from Harvard states, “Observational research has found that tea consumption of 2-3 cups daily is associated with a reduced risk of premature death, heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes.” One thing about tea that could improve your health are the positive antioxidants, like in green tea or oolong. They also say that if your tea is anything over 131° F, it can increase your risk of esophageal and stomach cancers if you drink it. 

Some of my top picks for tea:

1. Earl Grey/Lady Grey – Calming hint of lemon mixed with the bitter hints of black tea 
  2. English Breakfast – It’s similar to Earl Grey but it has more of a coffee taste to it.
  3. Green Tea – It has more earthy tones to it and just the right amount of bitterness.
  4. Lapsang Souchong – It has a subtle smokey aftertaste to it, very cleansing.
  5. Lavender Chamomile – Has a very nice comforting aroma and is perfect for sleep.

Recommended cafes: 

1. Gäbi Coffee & Bakery – Has an elegant aesthetic and a variety of seating options. Pastries and tea are also really good. 
  2. Dig It! Coffee Co. – Humble coffee shop located off Main St. workers are super nice, I would recommend their jelly-filled donuts and lavender latte if you ever stop by.
  3. Mothership Coffee – Located in The Ferguson, it has more of a homey vibe to it and has nice indoor seating.