Is 16 Too Young To Get Your Driver’s License

Victoria Hatfield

Getting your driver’s license is a massive accomplishment. In Nevada, you can get your permit at 15 ½. If residents pass their permit test, they can drive in a car with any licensed driver over the age of 21 who has had their license for over a year. After many months of practice, you can finally take your driving test after completing all of the prerequisites.

According to Nevada Law, you can take your license at any age over 16; however, some believe the driving age should be raised to eighteen. Visual director of the Portola Pilot, Jordan Lee believes, “To many, the ability to drive symbolizes a teenager’s transition into adulthood. Despite this, 16-year-olds lack the maturity and responsibility needed to ensure their safety, as well as the safety of passengers and other drivers. The driving age should be raised to 18, which would give teenagers time to develop the skills and knowledge necessary to drive, thus guaranteeing a higher level of maturity and responsibility on the road.” Lee believes that raising the age to eighteen would give teenagers a chance to mature and truly understand how much of a responsibility driving is. At the end of the day, driving a car could kill yourself or others. “Teen drivers have a higher rate of fatal crashes, mainly because of their immaturity, lack of skills, and lack of experience. They speed, they make mistakes, and they get distracted easily – especially if their friends are in the car,” says a teen driving overview from NHTSA

On the other hand, a senior high school student at Saratoga Falcon, Girish Swaminath believes, “…the current minimum driving age of 16 is, without exaggeration, perfect. Teenagers must learn to take more responsibility as they transition into adulthood. They need to develop their capabilities of providing careful care for their possessions. Driving is a significant initial step. Not only are they responsible for their automobiles, but they must take any steps necessary to protect their own lives as well as the lives of other drivers.” Swaminath believes that sixteen is the perfect age to get your license because it gives you a very important life skill. Having a driver’s license teaches you how to take care of yourself as well as your valuables. 

LVA students Ana Hernandez and Megan Paulson offered their opinions on getting a license at sixteen. Sophomore Megan Paulson says, “Sixteen is perfect because as soon as you turn eighteen you are kind of a grown up and you’re going off to college. Mid teen years you should learn how to drive and know how to drive so that when you go out into the world, you can get around yourself.” Agreeing with Paulson, junior Ana Hernandez says, “I feel like sixteen is the right age to get your license because you are in the midst of high school and you are starting to do all these activities. Sometimes your parents won’t be able to take you places, so it’s more convenient for you to drive. Obviously you have to know how to drive safely.” 

At the end of the day, driving is a privilege, not a need. If you choose to drive carefully and safely, getting your license should be no problem, however, if you are too immature then holding back on getting your license would be best.