The Student News Site of Las Vegas Academy of the Arts

Accolades

Accolades

Accolades

New Hobbies To Try

Michelle Yeboah

Summer vacation is right around the corner and with all that free time, there are so many new activities to try out. Whether out of boredom or just wanting something new to do, there are many different hobbies to look at.

Soap Carving 

Ever just had random bars of soap lying around and thought, “What should I do with these?” Then soap carving is the perfect hobby to try. The only materials needed are soft soap, a butter knife, and imagination. Make a simple design like a heart or a circle, cover the working area with a towel, and carve out design on the soap using the knife. All that’s left to do now is to admire the creation.

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Soap-Carving

Geocaching 

To the adventure seekers out there, this one’s for you. Geocaching requires traveling in order to locate different caches with items inside. For this hobby, GPS, a backpack, trinkets, and the right clothing are needed. Start by going to the geocaching website to find the nearest cache, use GPS to navigate it, sign a logbook and exchange one of the existing items in the cache with another, and then repeat the process again. But remember the most important rule, leave no trace behind.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/gps-geocaching.html#:~:text=Go%20to%20geocaching.com%20to,back%20like%20you%20found%20it

Recumbent Cycling 

Want a relaxing alternative too biking, then try recumbent cycling. This hobby is very simple, a person just lays back on the bike and rides around. Though the arms aren’t going to experience the same cardio that normal cycling would grant them since they will be relaxed the entire time. Of course all the safety laws with normal biking are applied here as well, people should always make sure to have on their helmets and other protective gear on while riding. Recumbent cycling is perfect for adults, people with back pains, and people getting into exercise. Though this may sound fun to do, it is important to note that recumbent bikes can be very expensive. With the cheaper ones being in the $200-$500, while the more expensive ones can go all the way up to $5,000 depending on where you buy it from. While places like Fit Del offer chances to rent the bike for $80/m, it’s important to have the right budget and dedication if you want to buy them instead.

https://www.garagegymreviews.com/recumbent-bike-exercise

Whittling 

So many things are made from wood, and whittling provides the opportunity for people to learn how to carve wood. A sharp wood carving knife with a small blade, wood, and some carving chisels are needed to make something out of the wood. Sandpaper, sharpening stones, and carving gloves are used as well for an easier and safer way. Progressing through this hobby does mean facing a lot of trial and error along with the dangerous consequences that can come from carving wood, but as long as safety is taken into account, whittling can be an incredibly fun and rewarding hobby.

https://beavercrafttools.com/blogs/ideas-inspiration-carve-hacks/how-to-whittle-wood-complete-starter-guide-to-whittling

Of course these are just a few of the new things you could try out. There are so many chances to do something new, so what are you waiting for?