The 2024-2025 Magnet Auditions for the VA Department are finally done, so what can you expect in the audition?

Khai Huynh
The Visual Arts Department’s audition booklet, updated regularly, is given to campus tour visitors and outlines key information for auditions.

The 2024-2025 Magnet Auditions for the Visual Arts Department at Las Vegas Academy of the Arts (LVA) are complete. Here’s what you can can you expect during the audition process.?

Each year, LVA’s various majors and departments hold their Magnet Auditions for prospective students. This year’s auditions took place over two weekends on Jan. 20 and Jan. 27. Many hopefuls arrived with portfolios and skills ready to showcase. But how does the Visual Arts audition differ from other departments?

Ms. Kelly Mabel, head of the Visual Arts Department, assists her students in their studio work time. (Khai Huynh)

“Our auditions are probably the most anonymous,” said Ms. Kelly Mabel, head of the Visual Arts Department. “Unlike band, dance or music, we don’t see the person performing or drawing in front of us. They turn in a paper with their magnet number, and we score everything anonymously. Keeping everything separate and anonymous just becomes time-consuming for the setup and then the grading. Students drop off their portfolios in the evaluation room and then go draw for 30 minutes.”

First, applicants must apply through the Clark County School District (CCSD) Magnet application, where they select their audition date and time. On the day of the audition, they check in at the cafeteria. Divided by timeslots, they are then escorted to the Visual Arts building for their auditions.

During the audition, applicants present a portfolio featuring their best and various required works. Many choose to prepare their audition questions in advance. Once in the waiting room, they’re taken by their major’s teacher to a room to leave their portfolios for review.

When it comes to standout qualities, especially for 2-D and 3-D design majors, Mabel says it’s, “When they work from life. With no copies from magazines or the internet. I prefer someone drawing what’s leftover from breakfast on a Saturday or what’s inside their backpack.”

After submitting their portfolios, applicants move to another room for the skill demonstration. For 2-D Visual Design students, this involves drawing a still life within 30 minutes. They’re provided with a pencil and eraser and monitored by a proctor who offers time warnings.

Senior 2-D Visual Design major and proctor for the skills demonstration, El Konrad, said, “Every year, they’re always nervous. They’re hard on themselves and so worried about making a mistake that they don’t let themselves start.”

In the still life room, students will sit at one of many pre-arranged seats, each with different views of the still life for the practical demonstration.
(Khai Huynh)
A large-scale still life is set up for the magnet audition in the Visual Arts building.
(Khai Huynh)

Konrad also assists in constructing the still life for the skills demonstration. When asked about the thought process behind its large-scale construction, Konrad said, “I look for textures or elements that are appealing and provide options for everyone’s different skill sets. We don’t expect formal art education or traditional lessons in understanding art when coming to LVA.”

After 30 minutes, applicants are escorted back to collect their portfolios and then leave campus to await their results.

LVA also hosts an audition workshop each December to help students prepare. For those unable to attend, the actual audition day can seem even more daunting.

Mabel advises auditionees to, “Be calm and organized. Make sure you have all your portfolio entries and required imagery before you even show up. We cover this in the workshop.”

Konrad adds some advice as well, “Get some sleep. Respect yourself and have the confidence to do your best work. Taking a deep breath can make a big difference.”

With the magnet auditions over, now just awaiting the late auditions, we look forward to the arrival of the Class of 2028’s Visual Arts Department.